Book Review: The Professor and the Madman

When attempting to describe the plot of The Professor and the Madman, I find myself undecided as to where to begin. The cover of the book describes it as a novel about the making of the Oxford English Dictionary. That is true, in a way. Simon Winchester, the author, spends much time on detailing the history of dictionaries and the difficulties in collating them - a far more interesting topic than one would imagine. However, the making of the OED, while an intrinsic aspect of the book, is not its focus.

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of The Oxford English DictionaryMost prominent in the novel is the story of the the Madman, an American Civil-War doctor who went mad, supposedly as a result of the horrors he witnessed during the war. Despite his incarceration in an assylum, the Madman becomes one of the most important contributors to the creation of the OED. The Professor, a less featured character, but by no means a lesser character, is the editor of the OED who initially doesn't realize that his most important contributor is a long-standing resident of a mental institution.

If I was to draw the timeline of the story in the order it is told, my pen would find itself going back and forth across the page. But this constant switching between past and present is cleverly done and barely perceptible. It makes for an interesting read.

The style of the book is very British and correct, which perfectly suits the storyline and adds an air of authenticity to it. I found myself having to look up a word or two, which gave me an even greater appreciation for the dictionary. But the truth is that I started to read the book three times before I actually read the whole thing. I'm not sure if that was due to the style of the book or the subject matter, but once I got past the first chapter, I began to really enjoy it (although it wasn't so compelling that I couldn't put it down.) I was even somewhat disappointed that the story ended at the epilogue. Uncharacteristically, I found myself reading the acknowledgements at the end - which turned out to contain some enlightening information on the extent the author went to in his research for the book.

The Professor and the Madman is not just a book for logophiles, lexicomanes or philologists. Its appeal lies in the fact that it is heavily based on a true story, that it is well researched, and that it is written in a style true to its subject.

I give it 8/10.

Comments are most welcome!
Follow on Twitter: @ykarp
Subscribe to Y. Karp? Why Not! or follow on Facebook (see the side-bar).
Add this blog to your RSS feed reader

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 37: Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Modern Living

Nimkar123.co.il Stole My Money

Jerusalem Marathon 10km - I Did It!