This is How It's Done

In my last post I mentioned that learning-games can have a positive impact on the educational experience.

Unfortunately, my son's English teacher doesn't believe in making learning fun. He gave the students a list of thirteen spelling words to learn over the coming week. No wonder my son doesn't like English - it's as boring as watching a banana take a nap.

Knowing that my son has no choice but to learn the words, I found a way to spice it up a bit - example sentences:
Put I put the dog in the washing machine.
Putting Dad said, “Why are you putting the dog in the washing machine?”
Big I put a big dog in the washing machine.
Bigger Racheli* put a bigger dog in the washing machine.
Biggest Tova^ put the biggest dog in the washing machine.
There There was a dog in the washing machine.
Their The kids put their dog in the washing machine.
It's The dog said, “It’s dark and wet in the washing machine.”
Its The dog did not wag its tail.
Dangerous The dog thought that being in the washing machine was dangerous.
Famous The dog became famous.
Because The dog became famous because he was in a washing machine.
Receive The dog’s prize was to receive a lifetime supply of washing powder!

* Racheli is our 11 year-old daughter
^ Tova is our 4-month-old baby daughter
Bonus: My son now knows how to spell "washing" and "machine", as well.

See, Teacher, that's how it's done.


Follow on Twitter: @ykarp
Subscribe to Y. Karp? Why Not! or follow on Facebook (see the side-bar).
Add this blog to your RSS feed reader.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jerusalem Marathon 10km - I Did It!

Episode 37: Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Modern Living

Act Your Age, Not Your Shoe Size