Placebo Buttons

A placebo button is a button that, when pushed, does nothing other than make the button pusher feel like he has effected change.

A famous example is the "close door" button in an elevator. Does pushing it actually close the doors, or do the doors close according to their programmed cycle, anyway? Certainly, pushing the button makes you feel like you have done something, but whether you actually have or not can only be determined by experimentation.

The Museum of Hoaxes blog busts the myth that all cross-walk buttons are placebos. Some are, some aren't, some never were but are now.

This whole thing got me thinking: What other things do we do that are really just placebos, dummy deeds we do to make ourselves feel in control? Just how much of our lives is rigged? Are we all being manipulated? Is there some great super-governmental force out there giving us the illusion that our opinions count?

Here's a few things that might really be placebos:

  • Half the operations we do in MS Windows:
    Ever tried to force a "hanging" program to close using the task manager?

  • Filing papers at any government office:
    It's a fun exercise, but do they do whatever they want, despite your requests?

  • Voting in an election:
    Aren't they all rigged?

  • Paying taxes:
    You pay a certain amount of tax. Your tax money doesn't go to schools and hospitals. Someone else's does. Your money goes to fitting that new executive bathroom in some fancy government building somewhere.

  • Ordering a steak at a restaurant:
    You order rare, it comes out well-done, but you felt decisive and powerful telling the waitress exactly how you would like it.
So how much control do we have over our own decisions, and do they mean anything? To test this theory, I've spent the last month making random choices, spur-of-the-moment, sometimes illogical decisions about lots of different things. The idea was to see whether any decision I made would ultimately lead me to the same end, proving the theory that everything is placebo and your choices don't matter, or whether my decisions actually had an effect on things.

Without going into too many details, Hugo Chavez is still in power. I ate raw dog meat in a Chinese restaurant. I filed the requisite forms and am now receiving financial assistance from Aboriginal Business Canada. I know the names of prison guards in four different African countries. I owe money to an Atlantic City loan shark. I don't have any clothes aside from those I'm wearing, but I do have all of my fingers, some of which are in an ice-pack in my rucksack.

Comments

  1. I know a good surgeon if you need one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I close elevator doors just by THINKING them closed.

    When filing official papers I will the office staff to do what they like with the papers- it's their responsibility...

    These work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once designed an Visual Basic Application to the effect of:
    "Format Your Hard Drive?"
    There were two buttons: Yes and OK.
    The box was model, so you had to push a button, or it would not go away.

    Pushing either button ended the application and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And does the word verification REEEALLY keep your blog free of spam?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 37: Best Kept Secrets to Healthy Modern Living

Nimkar123.co.il Stole My Money

Act Your Age, Not Your Shoe Size